What to Wear… {eastern shore, md photographer}

August 4, 2010

I often have clients ask me… “what should we wear?”  My answer is always, “something coordinated, but not too matchy-matchy.”  In an effort to help you, as a client, and  as a reader, I’d like to share some tips in how to dress for your Custom Portrait Session.  I’ll be using my own clothes, that I have purchased for portrait purposes to help illustrate my advice.

I often tell clients and friends to find a nice bright patterned piece of clothing and put that on one person in the group.  Then you pull the colors from that pattern and dress everyone else around it.  I, personally, like a blend of brights and neutrals.   The following two photos represent two family-type outfits with a boy and a girl.  Now, I’m also *that mom* who matches her two boys.  So I have no problem with doubling up on the boy’s outfit, or possibly in your case, the girl’s outfit.

This top collection is perfect for a more natural-type setting of tall grass.  The colors are what you might find in nature.   The second collection is more suited for an urban-type setting.  I know for a fact that there will be some All Star Converse shoes with that collection.  ;)

andrea burns photography

andrea burns photography

One pattern, the colors pulled from it for everyone else.  Please feel free to get funky with accessories and shoes.

The next two photos show just samples of sibling session possibilities.  The first is more winter, the second more summer.  The first would be great with a third child in chocolate brown.  The second, I think that a third child can match and duplicate the polo or dress again.

andrea burns photography

andrea burns photography

Now I’m going to show you the above principles/ tips in practice with my own family photos from last year.  One pattern, the colors pulled from it for everyone else, a blend of brights and neutrals.

andrea burns photography

andrea burns photography

Coordinated, but not too matchy-matchy.

Now where do I find these clothes?  Everywhere, I shop around.  But I have the best luck at Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree, CrewCuts, and Anthropologie.

Hopefully this helps you.  I’d love to hear if it does.  :)

Lori Robison posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 8:03 am.

These are awesome tips Andrea! I too have the hardest time putting outfits together. Nice to see some inspiration!

Sara posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 10:09 am.

Great examples! Love this post.

Lan posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 10:53 am.

Love these selections…now if I could only have you as my personal shopper.

Cyndee posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm.

Fantastic advice, Andrea!!!

Kate posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm.

Thank you so much!! Andrea. I have clients ask this question all the time.
I too am not a matchy matchy person more coordinating. But the one pattern piece is a GREAT tip!!

Anya Coleman posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm.

Love it!

misty Jones posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm.

This is so great Andrea! I am really loving that “urban” outfit! I want! :)

Kelly Mendoza posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm.

I love this! What a great idea and your family is GORGEOUS!

Jen Graber posted the following on August 4, 2010 at 8:20 pm.

This is great Andrea! Thank you for sharing.

Angelina S posted the following on August 5, 2010 at 7:39 am.

I LOVE your ideas for how to coordinate without everyone matching! This looks fabulous!

Nancy posted the following on August 5, 2010 at 5:02 pm.

Can you share where that cute brown dress is from in the first example set? Thanks :)

Andrea posted the following on August 9, 2010 at 6:10 pm.

Thanks everyone! Nancy, it came from Belk. :)

Hayley posted the following on August 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm.

Here’s my question…how in the world do you keep your daughter still while you fix her hair? My 20 month old starts running at the site of a brush, thus we end up with lumpy ponytails!

Hayley posted the following on August 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm.

Sarah Nebel posted the following on September 14, 2010 at 8:06 pm.

Thanks, I hope you don’t mind, but I liked to you because I’ve had lots ask me lately and you were just a fabulous source! Thanks!!! You do amazing work!

Liz posted the following on September 16, 2010 at 5:53 am.

Love this post Andrea!

kath posted the following on November 5, 2010 at 11:24 am.

can i know where did you get your husband’s argyl sweater?

Pingback from The M Family… {maryland family photographer} | Andrea Burns Photography Blog

[...] M read my What To Wear guide, and really followed it’s advice. They look great! Coordinated but not too [...]

Pingback from The Visiting S Family… {Hyatt Resort Cambridge md photographer} | Andrea Burns Photography Blog

[...] S family was also great that they asked for clothing help and really took my Clothing Advice to heart.  I ADORE their color choices, especially on the [...]