me… a runner?

August 14, 2009

it all started in the 7th grade.  my PE class had regular run built in every so often.   it was usually 7 tenths of a mile, with a smattering of a mile here and there.  I usually alternated my jogging with walking.

until the day i gave it my all.

i ran, and i ran hard.  and came in second overall, and first for girls.  how cool was that?!?

a few years passed and i found myself in college, desperate to not put on the “freshman 15″ with the late night eat-fests.  i started jogging around campus.  nothing too serious.  just me, my walkman with hootie and the blowfish, and the starry skies.

then i started teaching.  and i had a doozy of a first class.  i needed to get out some aggression and decompress after my long day.  i joined the Y and  hit the treadmill.  i was averaging 4 miles a run, 4 times a week.  then nate and i moved to pennsylvania.  we had seth.  i needed to lose baby weight, and as a new stay-at-home mom, needed to get out of the house.  i joined the Y again, and hit the treadmill.  same routine, 4 miles 4 times weekly.  no more, no less.  six months of this routine helped me win my age division in women’s, in my very first 5k race.

run, Andrea, RUN!

look at wee seth. wasn’t he so cute? this photo is from 2005….  accepting my first place medal.  my time was 25:16.

i decided i preferred outdoors running, and have not touched a treadmill since.  lucas was born.  again, managing my weight, i hit a local wooded fitness terrain of one mile… and would circle it 4 times.  the whole time i thought, i wish i could do more, maybe someday i’ll do 10 miles.  someday.

i was pregnant with audrey when my dear girlfriend frannie was training for a marathon.  hearing her story of the training, and then the actual story of marathon day… flipped my switch and lit my fire.  i wanted to do this too!  i could do this too!

audrey was born and i started running again 6 weeks post-partum.  it was painful and slow.  but i continued.  i worked through blisters and bruised toenails.  i ran in cotton.  i bought technical gear… new nike breathable clothes, balega socks, and a garmin fr60 heart rate monitor.  i ran some more.

i ran 7 miles today.

its the furthest i’ve ever gone.  i know i could run 10 tomorrow if i wanted to.  i feel strong and empowered.  i came home and registered for the philadelphia half marathon on november 22.   i am excited, not only for proving to myself i can do something remarkable, but for blowing that 10 mile dream out of the water.

i still have training to accomplish.  and if you see me jogging around gaithersburg, give me a little honk and wave.  i’ll give you a sweaty wave back.

melissa posted the following on August 14, 2009 at 10:36 am.

Go get em! Great story you shared!

wendy posted the following on August 14, 2009 at 11:52 am.

Wow go get em girl!!

Sharyn posted the following on August 14, 2009 at 12:01 pm.

Awesome – you have me motivated to keep up the treadmill too. Have a great half marathon!

Mary Ellen posted the following on August 14, 2009 at 8:03 pm.

Go, Andrea!

Christie posted the following on August 14, 2009 at 9:57 pm.

I just found you through the blog train at DST. WOW your photos are amazing. I just looked through like 5 pages of older posts admiring the photographs. You are so creative in how you pose people and what you direct them to do. Really makes the photos so much more interesting. Love them!

Melissa posted the following on August 14, 2009 at 11:34 pm.

Congratulations on your new milestone and good luck for your half-marathon.

Jacinda posted the following on August 15, 2009 at 12:49 am.

Wow Andrea – good on you!! I used to run (pre-kids), but have completely lost the desire to ever do so again. LOL. I do love doing weights and gym work though. Your photos are just incredible – you’re such an inspiration.

Chloé posted the following on August 15, 2009 at 11:39 am.

Wow, that’s terrific! You rock!!!

Margie from ILP posted the following on August 15, 2009 at 11:09 pm.

Andrea – that is so awesome…and so inspiring. I want to be a runner, and never have been – but might just have to do it now!

shay2oo2 posted the following on August 16, 2009 at 8:54 pm.

WOW a great story and go get em girl!!!!!

Angelina S posted the following on August 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm.

Andrea,
You are my hero! You go, girl!

Heather M posted the following on August 18, 2009 at 8:02 pm.

Andrea…I too have been inspired this year and have reached goals such as yours. Congrats and I know you will do awesome here in Philadelphia! I should come cheer you on!!!!

Stacy posted the following on August 19, 2009 at 11:05 am.

Congrats hun you will rock Phily!

Leah {paperboutique} posted the following on August 19, 2009 at 11:33 am.

Andrea, I’ve followed you for a few years ago, starting at DST. Can I just tell you how much I enjoy visiting your blog?! Your stories are incredible, your children are adorable and your work…exceptional…beautiful…stunning! If you are EVER up this way (and by up, I do mean north, LOL, Canadian Prairies girl!) I would love to have the honor of meeting you and having you shoot our family. Do you do roadtrips? =)

DJ M posted the following on August 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm.

My friend, Kari (from your blog entry below) sent me your link, so I could check out her pictures……they are gorgeous, but I wanted to congratulate you on your running! I just started running this past winter…..and have also set a goal to run a 1/2 marathon. I am going to run the Disney 1/2 in January. Good luck in Philly!!!!

Lesli posted the following on September 10, 2009 at 4:14 pm.

So inspiring! I’m ready to up my miles to 5 or 6 and you made me believe I can do more…

Pingback from Run, Andrea, Run! « Andrea Burns Photography Blog

[...] I finished my running season.  I shared the beginnings of my Running Story here. And here’s how my awesome season [...]